Simple, no fuss food can be a little fancy too. The brightness of the gremolata is a perfect accent for tuna. This was a quick weeknight meal to throw together but would be quite a showstopper for special company.
- 4 x 1/2 pound tuna steaks (about 1/2 -3/4 inch thick)
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried chili flakes
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons of chopped flat leaves parsley
- 2 tablespoon of capers in brine (drained and finely chopped)
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the bean salad:
- 1 red bell pepper – seeded and quartered
- 1 can Cannellini beans – rinsed and drained
- 3 fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
For the bean salad – combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl and mix. Toss with beans. Set aside at room temperature.
Preheat a griddle pan until smoking hot then reduce the heat to medium-high.
In a medium size bowl, whisk the oil with the water until thick and creamy. Whisk in the lemon juice with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Stir in the garlic, capers, chillies and parsley.
Lightly brush the tuna steaks and bell peppers with the spicy dressing and cook on the preheated griddle pan for 2 minutes on each side (for medium rare tuna).
To serve, fill the grilled peppers with the bean salad. Place the tuna on the place and drizzle over the gremolata dressing.