This recipe is for the butternut squash lover. The sweetness from the squash with the spicy sausage and crunch from the walnuts, is the perfect combination of textures and flavors. Goat cheese on top, would also be a tasty addition.
- 1 large butternut squash, cut into small cubes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, mild or hot
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 pound orecchiette, mezzi rigatoni, 0r small pasta
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 bunch tuscan kale or regular kale, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Fresh Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons Toasted walnuts
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Toss butternut squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, pepper, a pinch of cayenne pepper, and the nutmeg. Roast until butternut squash pieces are tender and caramelized, about 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add sausage and sauté until cooked through. Remove and set aside.
- Add the sliced red onions and a tad more olive oil, if needed, to the same pan and cook until caramelized, about 20-30 minutes, on medium-low heat.
- In the meantime, heat a pot of water over high heat until boiling. Salt water generously. Cook pasta according to package instructions until al dente.
- Add garlic to the onions and cook for 2 minutes. Turn the heat up to medium high and add the kale, sausage and sage to the pan.
- Add white wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and reduce, about 10 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and add the heavy cream. When the pasta is al dente, add it to the pan with the sauce. Add the roasted butternut squash.
- Loosen sauce with pasta water if needed. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and walnuts.