I’ve come out of summer hibernation… finally. Fall is here and the cooler temperatures have inspired me to get back to the kitchen.
Your freezer section does most of the work for this fast & impressive dessert. If you have a mandolin – it makes the process even faster for slicing the apples. For something so easy to put together (and the oohs & ahhs that followed from the tasters) I think I’ll stop spending hours on dessert!
- 1 whole sheet Puffed Pastry, thawed & cut in half
- 4 whole Granny Smith apples, cored, halved & sliced (but not peeled)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or 1/2 tsp vanilla paste or powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons Muscovado or dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons apricot or pear jelly
Preheat oven to 415 degrees.
Place puffed pastry rectangles onto a baking pan that’s been sprayed with nonstick spray. Add vanilla, lemon juice & salt to apples. Stir to combine. Allow to sit for a few minutes.
Arrange apple slices on the pastry rectangles in a straight line, overlapping as you go. Dot the top with the butter and sprinkle with Muscovado or dark brown sugar.
Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until pastry is puffed and golden brown.
Warm the jelly and brush over the apples and pastry edge. Serve hot with vanilla ice cream or crème fraîche.