Kale is a weird green. I put it in green smoothies and cover it up with lots of fruit. Outside of smoothies & soups, I think it’s pretty awful. Until now! I had this salad at a local Dallas eatery & paid 12.99/lb. It’s so simple… no need to pay more than I’d pay for a steak!
Use whatever vinegar you like (rice wine would be great) as it really breaks the kale down. It’s best the next day, but stays great for several days.
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup grape seed oil
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 3 tablespoons orange & muscat vinegar (Trader Joe’s)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
For the salad
- 1/2 bag tuscan kale, cut, washed & tough stems removed
- 4 Persian cucumbers, cut in half & sliced into half moons (or 1 english cucumber)
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 1 can mandarin oranges, rinsed & drained
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked & cubed
Mix the vinaigrette in the bottom of a large bowl. Add all of the other ingredients – toss, cover & let sit in the refrigerator for at least a few hours. It’s best the next day, but stays great for several days.