In April I planted 5 tomato and a 3 sweet basil plants with this exact picture and post in mind. I’ve cared for these plants like children… and it was worth every bit of work to taste this dish that came from my backyard.
Some of the best meals have few ingredients but top-rate ingredients are essential. All you need is a knife, beautiful vine-ripened summer tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and great olive oil to have this “salad in the style of Capri” on your table in 3 minutes or less.
Serve alone or with crostini.
- 2 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes (about 4 large), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil (about 20 leaves)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, optional
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
On a platter arrange tomato and mozzarella slices and basil leaves, alternating and overlapping them. Season salad with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.